6.23.2007

Playing on the Freeway


It was just your typical day riding your bike in the fast lane of the freeway. With vendors and bands lined up in the carpool lane. This freeway is so new that the section doesn't even show up on Google Maps.

I got a call from dad the night before saying that he couldn't make. There will be other events so that wasn't a problem. TriChef call the night before as well and needed help changing out the back tire. Floated a couple tips and Wala! tire on in a matter of seconds. So we set things up for him to meet me at my place and we can "carpool" to the Freeway. The time was set for 6AM since registration was at 7AM and I hadn't paid yet (he pre-registered online). So it's 6:30AM and I jump out of bed hoping that he hasn't been sitting outside my house for the past half hour pounding on my door. But I look out and there's no car. I give a call to his cell and no answer so I left a message. So now its 5 till 7AM and I give one more call before I head out to register...another message left.

I get there and there is the usual hustle and bustle. I get in line and register and the vendors are already set up and people are walking around. I cruise over the Specialized and Cannondale tents to see if there are any freebie's...nope. No new bike components for me, darn. The gun goes off at 8AM and its 7:55 so I give TriChef one more call...voicemail! Okay, his money, not mine.

So I'm chugging on a slight uphill grade against a head wind at about 12MPH but coming back with the tailwind and "descending" at about 21MPH! I did the 10.55 miles in 41:10 (~15.37 MPH). After the ride I walked around a little in my clips and got annoyed so I bike back to the car and switched shoes (didn't want to leave the bike on the rack). So I walked around the expo checking everything out and grabbed a Carne Asada Burrito for a post-race meal with some free Vitamin Water (Guava flavor, hmmm). I get a call from TriChef around 11AM and he said he slept in and forgot that he set his phone to vibrate. You snooze, you lose. He was P-Off that he got the bike ready and paid and didn't even race. So I continue by stroll around checking out the bullet proof Hummer that the Rialto PD rolled out, the live band, free stuff that the vendors were giving out, car show, lions and tigers and bears...oh, my.

Who I most sorry for during this whole day are the runners. The 10K didn't start till 10AM and by that time it was already 85 degrees! Poor guys. So that was my day playing on the freeway. The last time I got on the freeway on something other than a car was when I was in high school and I talked a couple of friends into Roller Blading on the 710 freeway in the middle of the day (NO EVENT TAKING PLACE). So we bladed to the Queen Mary and they were so freaked out about how close the cars got that we took the shuttle back....wimps.

5 comments:

Afternoon Tea With Oranges said...

Wow, sounds like a fun event!! Great job!

Unknown said...

Sounds like good times for everyone but the 10K runners who had to wait til it warmed up so much. :)

Doris said...

Freeway cycling + No cars = FUN

:o)

Steph said...

glad you had fun!

Kewl Nitrox said...

Kudos on doing the ride despite the no shows!