7.24.2007

Accelerade

Well I've had a chance to go over the product. I also gave a few away to co-workers for a sheer taste test. They were accustomed to drinking healthy alternatives to soda, so there was no bias there. I know that the whole thing is about performance, but I wanted to confirm some thoughts I had. It was a unanimous decision. Accelerade = Cottonmouth.

It comes in 4 flavors: Citrus Grapefruit, Peach Mango, Fruit Punch, & Mountain Berry. Two out of four is not bad. The Fruit Punch and Mountain Berry are way too sweet and don't mix well with the dry mouth sensation that you instantly get when drinking this stuff. The other two, Citrus Grapefruit and Peach Mango seem to work well with the dry mouth. My co-workers are all in agreement that if we didn't have tongues, this would be great. And its not even that it tastes horrible or anything. It's the feeling you get on your tongue that lingers for a while. Oh, and you have to drink it cold.

Okay, now for the real test...Performance. For me, the test has always been the run. So this is how I test out how my nutrition and hydration is working out for me. It's where I struggle most. Guess what. My legs actually feel less fatigued afterwards. I mean it took less time for me to recover afterwards. That's where I really saw the difference. During, I was only concerned with drinking this stuff that made me more thirsty. After the first trial I decided that after I was done with the bottle I would quickly chase it with some water...huge difference! Most of this review is pretty superficial. I haven't talked about the facts: 1) its one of the few out there that have protein, 2) 120 mg of Sodium (high in comparison), 3) 15 mg of Potassium (low in comparison).

Pros:
- Fast Recovery
- Pre-Mixed
- 2 Okay Flavors

Cons:
- Cotton Mouth
- Not in a Sports Bottle (you would think that they are marketing to endurance athletes, that they would package it in a sports bottle, but nooooo)
- Low Potassium content (this is coming from someone who has not yet competed in an event and NOT cramp)
- 2 Bad Flavors

Final Decision: I'll finish up my free sample and try something else. But come race day I'm going back to my GU2O. Maybe I'll try Gatorade Endurance (200 mg Sodium, 90 mg Potassium).

If someone out there can help me, please let me know how to NOT get cramps. I always feel great until I step off the bike. Then my calves go into convulsions.

For all of you who have tried, let me know what you think about it.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll post when i get to try it out.

I don't know what to tell you about the cramps. I haven't had that (yet). Are you stretching before/after?

SixTwoThree said...

Sounds to me like you need to experiment with Salt tabs. Hate to sound like a broken record, but talk to Gayla about that one. Me? I'm senstive to salt and have to watch it. But I also know if you're low in minerals that can cause cramping too. Try eating more bananas (more on the unripe side, so you don't take in too much sugar).

barndog said...

I used to and still cramp pretty bad. Try just taking in water only with 150-250mg sodium and 50-80mg potassium per 12 ounces of fluid consumed. That's like 2 motortabs per large (24oz)waterbottle. Also make sure your drinking enough. Not just during your workouts but throughout the day. It's easier than you think to be chronically dehydrated. Also cramping can onset from flat out fatigue. Try strengthening specific muscles where you might find the problem. Hope that helps. I've tried these things. they help but I still cramp during longer races when its hot.

Marcy said...

Ooooooooo thanks for that report!! I was wondering how that stuff fared! How much sugar (if any) does it have in it? I can't do the high sugary stuff like Gatorade unless I want to poop my pants :P

Marcy said...

Oops I forgot to add, NP on the body calculator :P And dude ROFLMAO at your comment. I totally forgot that one. I'm going to have to use " big baller" from now on.

Simon C. said...

How is the Citrus Grapefruit. Cottenmouth is expected but is the flavor better than the Berry?

Kris said...

The high electrolyte count probably helped the recover portion. As for the cottonmouth on the other two flavors is probably either due to a high sodium content and sugar as well. I would check the sugar.

My suggestion to you on any sport drink..Accelerade, Gatorade, etc is to water it down. At least 1/4 water for every 3/4 of sports drink (I would even suggest 1/2 to 1/2)

The protein, calories, potassium, etc are what provide you with that needed energy boost near the end when muscles are fatigued, etc but you still need fluid hydration in the form of water.

To be honest for me, I drink Gatorade on the bike and water on the run.

Kris said...

Btw on the hydration thing, when David Scott (big triathlon athlete guy) talk the group of first time triathletes in Philadelphia..his suggestion on hydration was not to overdo it.

Drink when you are thirsty (water) and don't force it when you are not. It was good advice for me, because I was so nervous I was ready to stuck my mouth under the water cooler in the hotel.

And some people happen to be prone to cramping. I would suggest salt tabs allow good luck finding them, since a lot of places refuse to carry them. Bananas work as well. I like mine with a little bit of granola and yogurt.

Btw..sorry for commandeering your comment section =)

Unknown said...

i'll post about it by end of week, but accelerate (the blue stuff) in my profile bottle on the bike has been great so far. I also carry plain water on the bike

Steve Stenzel said...

I pretty much agree with you on all points. I just haven't had the guts to post my true feelings yet!...

Wes said...

hey, I tried the blue one yesterday and the after taste I got reminded me of milk. And that is exactly what is in the bottle :-) There's a warning on the side.

Kewl Nitrox said...

Nice of you to share it with work mates. I think the "cotton mouth" feeling comes from the protein component. So far all drinks with protein I have tried leave me with that powdery feeling in the mouth, but protein is supposed to speed recovery...

Kewl Nitrox said...

Cramps - do MORE bricks. :-)